Wednesday, March 3, 2010

South Plains Leatherfest

What a weekend. I had no idea if I was even going to make it to Dallas with the storm that was slamming Philly last Thursday. I was on one of the last flights outta there and it was a puddle jumper just to get me to Washington DC then onto Dallas. I have flown well over 200,000 miles in my lifetime and I found it hard to believe that I was never on a plane that was being deiced. The spray hit my window and I just looked on. This was going to be an adventure. The blizzard was starting to hit and I just held my breath praying the flight didn't get canceled last minute. We finally took off and it was a EEE ticket ride with the winds. When we landed in DC I was quite shocked, the sun was shining and the birds singing. After a couple hour layover off I went to Dallas! Easy flight, easy shuttle to the host hotel, easy check in.... it was a good day!
My role at SPLF was unique. Though I had a full weekend package I had stepped forward to be the handler for our Northeast Master and slave team who were competing that weekend. Master Steve and slave tami are 2 of the most honorable people I know. They housed me for the weekend and in return I was at their beck and call. They barely used me and I stayed out of the way as much as I could. Saturday morning I went to get them breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Instead of box's I had a full serving tray filled with plates, utensils, etc... as I was carrying it thru the hotel the looks were priceless. In a land far far away I used to be a waitress and very few are aware that I was owned property at one point. What I learned I carry with me thru life!
During the course of the weekend I met some amazing women and rekindled friendships. With my running for IMsL I was excited to spend some time with Lady Fae and Gabrielle. I was able to ask them about their experiences as IMsL and their answers were everything I expected and more. Lamalani and Pony were also present and just as enlightening. I also got to spend some quality time with 2 of my classmates, Cathy and Lady Minx. Minx was a gem and with Syr Evan took me out for a night on the town at the Dallas Eagle where we hooked up with Gypsey while Cathy pulled together a gathering of IMsL women. I can't wait to spend more time with them!
Throughout the weekend I was there every step of the way for Steve and tami. I am not a judge on this track but what I saw I really liked. They are a genuine couple...about as real as you get. I am proud to be on so many board of directors with them. Their story is very touching. I have known them for years and they speak truely from their hearts. The pop questions were perfect for them with whitty answers. I was holding my breath.....
When they announced the winners... Master Obsidian and slave namaste from the Southwest region the audience roared. They were on fire all weekend and will be amazing representatives for our community. I was able to talk to them for a short bit during the weekend and look forward to seeing them around the country.
My friends... my family made us all proud. I don't think they could have done anything different. They are winners in my book and our region has won also. We do not lose them to the community at large... we get to be greedy!
All in all what a weekend. Master Jim, Cougar, slave marsha.. thank you for all that you do. Celeste your skills are amazing, Master Larry.. rock on...rock on!
I walked away from the weekend with amazing friends, a weekend at Leather Reign in Seattle and a question of why I had never attended South Plains before.
I will not make that mistake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment